170 Overheating

170 Overheating

BobbyG
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks 170 Overheating

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  BobbyG 2 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

BobbyG
    Participant

Hey guys haven’t been around for a while, Looks like a few site changes made. glad its still up and running.

I have both engines oveheating dropped the lower half to replace alpha1 gen1 water pump thinking it most likely, unfortunately impeller looked good replaced anyway. Now will go after heat exchanger, any suggestions on cleaning them? Could also use source for exhaust elbow. Does breezeworks sell em?

I see a few familiar names in postings glad u guys still hanging in.
    Bobbyg

BobbyG
    Participant

Did a little more surfing and see site has elbows but out of stock

vail
    Participant

WHAT DO THE ENGINES HAVE IN COMMON THAT WOULD CAUSE BOTH TO OVERHEAT? Did you rule out other possibilities before looking at the impeller? Thermostats, coolant leaks for example.

stractor
    Participant

You might give your local radiator shop a call and see if they can clean the interior of the exchangers, much like cleaning a car radiator and there is no solder to worry about they are silver brazed together. You can clean the inside of the tubes by using a rifle cleaning rod of the appropriate caliber and you can check out the end caps at the same time, they tend to corrode under the rubber gasket.

BobbyG
    Participant

I guess first is how I got here, boat on boat lift and it was to easy just to beam it up and walk
    away. So I didn’t flush the salt water sys. Didn’t have a good way of doing it. Will develop easy way after this is fixed. Ear muffs to hard…

Thanks for replies.
    For Vail: only comonality is gas tank and alternator (use one alt to charge 3 batteries).

For Stractor: I like that, it will identify and solve issue, will go to that if phase 2 not successful. Whats phase 2? Going to disconnect hoses at elbow and alpha pump feed. Reconnect small circ pump to feed barcinal buster or simular descaler thru system. Well see what happends will post result.

Thanks again for ur thoughts .

Bg

BobbyG
    Participant

Ok doing the flush now, removed hose from heat ex salt water inlet and connected a small pump. Then removed hose from elbow and extended it to bucket. Filled bucket w fresh water, pump pushed water thru both heat ex (power steering and engine) I was suprised how easy. Doesn’t appear to be obstructed. Put a cup of muriatic acid in bucket water turned green, pumped it tru for 5 min and let sit for minute then flushed to clear water. Got barnacle buster West marine flushing now will let run 12 hours some crud coming out but really very little. Guess the heat ex is ok. Gona Put it back together and see where I’m at cooling wise. Phase 3 looks like ex elbow replacement.

stractor
    Participant

Don’t run the engine without water circulating through the drive and up through the engine and out the exhaust even for 30 seconds!!!!!!!!! You will destroy the impeller in the drive and melt the plastic water pocket that holds the copper tube that connects the upper and lower drive sections!!!! You will also burn up the rubber flap valve located in the top of the lower exhaust pipe ( the one that bolts to the drive assembly ). The chunks of the damaged impeller or the halves of the flap valve may not flush out of the drive. The flap valves can easily get stuck in the exhaust passage of the drive. you must use the muffs or remove the drive/s and feed water into the hole (water passage) in the bell housing, I made an adapter from some scrap aluminum with a connection for a garden hose so I could run the engine without the drive.

BobbyG
    Participant

Stractor,

Thanks for info, I will check the out flow path when replacing the exhaust riser. I guess it wouldn’t be a bad idea to back flush the drive water supply line too.

I had lower unit off when I flushed the saltwater path. Used small elect circulating pump engine not running. Btw circulated barnacle buster for 3 hrs then flushed with fresh water. No point in doing more water was clean from start.

I’m planning on putting a tee in alpha salt water supply line so I can flush the salt water path after each use. Will flush with engine running, boat in water.

Bg

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background