Mercruiser 190 anti freeze in cylinder

Mercruiser 190 anti freeze in cylinder

our71torinogt
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Mercruiser 190 anti freeze in cylinder

This topic contains 6 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  stractor 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

our71torinogt
    Participant

so i just inherited a boat with a mercruiser 190. the motor was locked up when i got the boat and after i pulled the plugs i noticed that all the cylinders had anti freeze in them. i pumped out all the anti freeze and let the motor soak with marvels for about to weeks. after a new set of plugs the boat runs real well. i pulled off the riser tonight to do a visual but it seems fine the only thing i noticed is the small ports in the bottom of the riser (the ones that run parallel with the manifold) were full with mill scale and rust. im not sure if that is my problem or not kinda wanted some second opinions. also the engine oil is clean as a whistle.

our71torinogt
    Participant

Well I pulled off the exhuast manifold and upon inspection it has multiple cracks. Looking online I noticed that some of these 3.7 motors came with a aluminum exhaust manifold can i switch that out with my cast one?

stractor
    Participant

As long as you have the later style manifold and not the Log Manifold (square exhaust manifold) yes you can swap it. But you say your engine is a 190 and that should have an aluminum exhaust manifold and a 4bbl carb. I am assuming you are talking about the manifold that bolts to the engine head and not the Riser that bolts to the manifold itself.

our71torinogt
    Participant

well the original manifold on this boat is cast iron stamp number 99907 for the exhaust manifold and 90879 on the riser the boat is a 1985 regal medallion 185 if that helps.

stractor
    Participant

As long as the exhaust manifold is NOT square with a tank on one end and the riser on the other, a later aluminum manifold should fit. As a matter of fact all exhaust manifolds types will fit any engine, the problem is where the riser outlet to the lower exhaust pipe is located. Look here at the exhaust section. It is manual #3 (early) and combines several engine types. Manual #8 is the later manual just for the 470.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser3.html#/0

our71torinogt
    Participant

i just ordered a 93173 aluminum exhaust manifold and a 98561 riser i’ll keep you posted on how it turns out lol.

stractor
    Participant

Make sure you use the Mercruiser gasket between the riser and the manifold–they seem to work better.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background