Mercruiser 470s pre-install advice wanted

Mercruiser 470s pre-install advice wanted

jim
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Mercruiser 470s pre-install advice wanted

This topic contains 7 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  stractor 2 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

jim
    Participant

I recently bought two Mercruiser 470s from a shrimper, here in south Louisiana. I got a great deal on them, as they both came with outdrives, controls, risers, heat exchangers, etc. I was informed that they were complete, running sets that were recently taken off the shrimp boat because they were going to diesel. I paid $500. The guys bench tested one of the engines for me before I bought them, and it started up – although it ran pretty rough, bouncing around a lot on the ground.

I’ve read a little bit about these motors and boaters seem to have a love/hate attitude towards them. Obviously, I should get the alternator kit, and probably upgrade to the 4″ heat exchanger, but, what else, while I’ve got these on the ground with 360 degree access, should I do? I know about the weep holes and I’ll check that out – heck, I’ll probably just go ahead and change the seals, for good measure.

Any suggestions will be appreciated. I’m getting the feeling from reading other boaters’ stuff that these can be a little finicky… I’m hoping and praying I got as good a deal as I thought (and was told) I was getting.

stractor
    Participant

Replace the points with the pertronix ignition module and never have to worry about mechanical points. http://www.pertronix.com/

jim
    Participant

will do… thx

Rake
    Participant

Also – some key points – excuse the pun.

Exhaust riser / Elbow – needs to be checked to ensure its not failed internally and allows water in the the bores.
    Check weep hole on timing cover is clear of obstruction and does not weep coolant as that indicates the cam seals have either failed or grooved the cam.
    3 inch heat exchanger is beneficial.

I am in the process of rebuilding one right now.

stractor
    Participant

Sounds like you got it covered. I would probably replace the cam seals while you have access, more work but it pays off in the long run.

jim
    Participant

I will definitely put new seals in while it’s out.

Rake, are you saying I should keep my 3″ heat exchangers? I have read that the 4″ was a great improvement and that it was suggested to upgrade to the 4″. If there is a benefit to the 3″, I would not be opposed to keeping them.

Does anyone know of a simple way to, once they are removed, plug the risers and do a pressure test on them? I tried it once with the risers from a 7.4L Mercruiser, but I’m really not sure we got true readings on that test.

jim
    Participant

When I go to the ignition module page at pertronix, I get a bunch of pages of results. I know I don’t want 6 cylinder, so that rules out a couple pages. However, since the 470 is half of a Ford v8, do I want that one, or do I want one of the 4 cyl modules?

stractor
    Participant

The Pertronix Ignitor for the 470 is located on page 25 of the following catalog –http://www.pertronix.com/catalogs/pdf/ptx/2018/Pertronix2018.pdf. It is part number 1146A. Be very careful when you install the plastic magnet ring over the points cam. If you push it too far you will break out the plastic on the top of the ring. With the ring started on the distributor cam, put a washer on the protruding distributor shaft and push the magnet ring down with the washer. This ignitor is for the Delco distributor and NOT the earlier PRESTOLITE distributor.

You want the 4″ heat exchanger

• This reply was modified 2 months ago by  stractor.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background