Mercruiser Voltage regulator/alternator conversion help

Mercruiser Voltage regulator/alternator conversion help

Dads Boat
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Mercruiser Voltage regulator/alternator conversion help

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Dads Boat
    Participant

Hi All,
    We are new to this, so please bear with!

My Dad passed away last year and no one else in the family wanted his beloved 1987 Chaparral Cruiser. Knowing how much he loved this boat, my Husband encouraged me to take it. I want to restore it to honor my Dad.
    We finally got his ‘baby’ from KY to CO, and have spent the last 2 months working on her. We dropped her in the water a couple of days ago for the first time in 8 years (she sat in a lot for years after he got sick). All was going better than expected (after an engine rebuild and LOTS of other repairs), until the weird smell… Opened the engine compartment to billowing white smoke.
    The voltage regulator fried. The part is anywhere from $350-$1200. We were told that it MAY be possible to convert it to a set-up using an alternator and eliminating the Voltage regulator entirely.
    Can anyone help a gal out? Give us some direction?
    Thanks for reading!!

psbac.bac
    Blocked

You need to buy the conversion kit. Plenty of them on EBay. Just make sure they include the bracket. You can either mount it low or high depending on if the engine has a power steering pump. If no power steering I believe you want the lower mount kit. Do not buy a new voltage regulator, they do not last but a few years.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154038765792

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background