No power

No power

ohm5295
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks No power

Tagged: 

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  apache81821 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

ohm5295
    Participant

My 1987 470 stranded me in the lake last weekend. I pulled the kids in the tube for half an hour then stopped to swim. The engine fired without problem but stalled in gear when I applied any power. Out of gear it rvs fine but no power when in gear. My first thought was fuel delivery but the filter is clean. I discovered the 2 month old battery was down to about 25% of capacity. Could this be that the generator/rectifier is failing and can’t keep up with the higher spark demand?

stractor
    Participant

Does the engine run at idle when in gear or does it stop dead?? Can you bump the throttle up in small increments when in gear and will it run while doing this?
    You might have an accelerator pump problem in the carb. With the engine off, remove the flame arrestor from the top of the carb, hold the choke open and have some one work the throttle to give it gas. You should see two good streams of gas from the accelerator pump nozzles. If there is a weak or no stream this will cause the engine to bog when you open the throttle. There is also a fuel filter behind the fitting that the fuel line from the pump goes into. You have to remove the fuel line at the carb and remove the large fitting on the carb. Fuel pump pressure is 4.5 to 5 psi and should be checked. Most fuel tanks have a filter at the bottom of the fuel pickup tube and these can clog. As for the battery, I wouldn’t think it would cause the problem you describe, but you would do well to replace the engine charging system with an alternator kit as it seems to be working only somewhat, the kits are available on the site. There is a plate on the right side of the engine bolted to the exhaust manifold that has the shift cable from the drive and from the shifter attached to it. When putting the engine in gear the switch on the plate should NOT be actuated, that switch will kill the engine if it is actuated. Its actual purpose is to blip the engine off so the gears in the drive will unload so the drive can be shifted out of gear.

vail
    Participant

To add to what Stractor said about the shift plate. That switch will kill the engine for a split second when taking the drive OUT of forward or reverse, If that happens, the rearmost shift cable is the likely candidate due to binding

ohm5295
    Participant

The filter in the carburetor was clean, I’ll check to see if there is one in the pick up tube in the tank. Hadn’t thought about checking the shift kill switch, I’ll check the adjustent. The engine would idle for a short period of time when in gear and then stall. Accelerator pump was working earlier, but I can verify once I get fuel back in the carburetor. What’s the best way to check fuel line pressure?

stractor
    Participant

With a fuel pressure gauge , harbor freight sells hem

apache81821
    Participant

I’m having the exact same problem with my own 3.7. I thought it was the accelerator pump so I purchased a carb rebuild kit from Mike Carburetor and rebuilt it I even put in a new brass float and had it professionally adjusted. Same problem….. very frustrating….. so I replaced the fuel pump installed a fuel / water separator and replaced the lines to the tank…… same problem. Granted I live at 8000 feet… I know altitude plays a role here but I figured I could make the necessary adjustments. So far no luck, I’m ready to just purchase a new carb and start over. I’m curious though did you find a filter on the tank pick up tube ? I didn’t check there.

apache81821
    Participant

Ok ! So good news ! Loss of power, solved by replacing the anti-siphon valve ! In addition to this behind the anti-siphon valve in the pickup tube is a tube like screen which I will add was full of debris. It didn’t look like either one had been changed since 1987. I removed the screen replaced the valve boat ran perfectly! I have been chasing this for 2 months! So…..unexplained loss of power, runs at idle but won’t accelerate, sputtering and even back firing replace your anti-siphon valve !!!!! It’s a 20 dollar part versus tearing your carb apart !

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background