Preventative Head Gasket Replacement Advice

Preventative Head Gasket Replacement Advice

Rake
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Preventative Head Gasket Replacement Advice

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Rake 1 month, 1 week ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Rake
    Participant

Hi All,

I found me a 470 with only 66 hours on it, its a 1978 build and I plan to fit the boat with it and take the boat to a remote location in Greece so wanted to do the nasty bits before taking it over. Its been sat in a shed for the past 25 years so I plan to do the following –

Later alloy exhaust manifold
    New starter
    Alternator conversion
    Pertronix ignition
    Rebuild carb
    4 Inch HE
    Headgasket replacement
    Cam seal replacement and camshaft inspection.

I wanted to ask if there is anything else I should consider ?
    Also is there any nasty surprises when doing the headgasket ? Any common problems ?

Many thanks.

Rake

stractor
    Participant

You don’t mention the year of the boat and that is important . As far as the manifold replacement goes, if your boat has the old style log (square) exhaust manifold the newer aluminum later style will bolt to the engine but WILL NOT line up with the exhaust pipe from the transom assembly. If the head gasket is good I wouldn’t replace it as there is no reason to. If you do replace it use only a genuine Mercruiser head gasket.

Rake
    Participant

Thanks Stractor, I will use OEM, I bought 2 just in case.
    Yes it is the old style log but there has been a modification done so that the exhaust fits using a wide bore heat resistant tube and 2 jubilee clips.

The boat is a 1986 DRACO 1800ST

As for doing it now – engine os out – ideal time, if it goes in and I find it needs doing anyway its more of a pain to have to take the motor out again.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background