Siezed Engine

Siezed Engine

Rake
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Siezed Engine

This topic contains 9 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Rake 8 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Rake
    Participant

I bought an engine with 60 hours of alleging use on it .

I tried to turn the engine over and found that it would not move so I stripped the head off the block and found signs of water ingress into cylinder four who, the piston was locked into place by what appears to be a coating of rust at the top of the cylinder.

There is also signs of water ingress via the exhaust valves so it appears like the elbow must have gone during its early life.

I have poured paraffin into all the cylinders in a bit to release seized piston other than stripping it all down and rebuilding it from scratch I am on aware of what else I can do any ideas gratefully received

stractor
    Participant

I think you have done as much as you can. If it does free up I wouldn’t take the chance and run it. Aside from the rusted cylinder, the rings are most likely rusted in place. Sure it may start but you will do more damage to that cylinder and the piston. Looks like a tear down to me, but only you can tell as I can’t see the damage.

stractor
    Participant

The second thing you do is get your money back from whoever sold you the engine , that is of course the engine was not put into use by you and was running when you got it.

Rake
    Participant

Got number For piston out of the block today it looks like general gong not necessarily rust that has caused the seizure either way this engine has not had a compression test done as per the vendor’s emails.

It will need at least one piston but I suppose now that I am in there I may as well do the shells big and small lens pistons and have the bores inspected.

The head is also obviously off so time to have the valves checked and re ground or lapped in.

Rake
    Participant

As for getting financial compensation from the vendor I have emailed him no reply I have phoned him no reply so I have registered and dispuyes in eBay

Rake
    Participant

Vendor has sent me 2 videos of the engine running prior to purchase.

Could it be that water has got into a cylinder during the 3 months it has been sat in the workshop after being run ?

vail
    Participant

Post the handle of this outfit, so nobody else gets shafted….

Rake
    Participant

Hey vail,

No I don’t as it was done as a private sale.

Engine is in machine shop now and I am waiting to see if we get away with a hone and rings.

Head needs stripping and valves checking and lapping in with a possible ream as on or more is stuck.

News from the seller is that the exhaust manifold was detached and reattached in old gasket to bench start.

I have no doubt that this killed the engine.

Idiot.

https://ibb.co/kU1Gcw

https://ibb.co/jihdqG

https://ibb.co/djurAG

https://ibb.co/iJ09xw

Engine images

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by  Rake.

vail
    Participant

Holy crap. are you sure the engine he sold you is the one in the video? Tough break…

Rake
    Participant

Yeah it’s the one.

I honestly believe the guy sold me an engine he believed was good and it was before he stupidly ran it with a compromised exhaust manifold gasket.

Machine shop said water ingress in pots 2 and 4.

The whole point of me buying this motor was its 60 hours of use yet I ended up doing more work on this young engine than on my existing engine that had over 1000 hours on it.

Irony.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background