Water leak help

Water leak help

Dorson190
No Comments

Home Forums Breezeworks Water leak help

This topic contains 15 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  vail 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Dorson190
    Participant

Hello everyone, I have a beautiful 1987 four Winns 190 horizon. It has the mercruiser 3.7 180 in it, I just bought this boat very first so I don’t know to much about it but the problem I’m have is if in the boat looking at the motor on the front left side of the motor it is leaking water it’s water not coolant but when I look at the motor or any of the components on the motor it is dry can’t tell we’re its coming from also when it was leaking it was with Walmart muffs and a hose running it when I was there looking at the boat to buy any help would be great thank you guys so much in advance

stractor
    Participant

It sounds like the forward cam seal is leaking. There are two seals in the timing cover that seal the nose of the cam because the cam penetrates the water space to drive the water pump impeller that pumps the engine coolant. On the left side of the timing cover there is a 1/8 inch weep hole that starts just to the rear of the water side cam seal and goes out to the outside of the timing cover. It’s job is to indicate a worn seal. It is hard to see you need a mirror, but you can feel the hole. Most are usually plugged with dirt and grease, a welding rod or other thin object can be pushed into the hole to clean it—And NO don’t use a stick. These was a large collection of info in the archives that never got moved when the forum was moved.Here is a link to what I am talking about. The dotted line in the picture just happens to point to the hole if you follow it about half way. Lots of great info on the site—–http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html——-You need to look at Mercruiser Manual #8 or for the earlier 470 (same basic engine as the later ones) Manual #3. The cam seals seal against Engine Coolant!!!!!! and also keep coolant out of the oil.
    Changing the seals can be done at home, not a 5 minute job and does require a bit of mechanical skill and a gear puller and hand tools. I have done it a few times.

http://boatinfo.no/lib/mercruiser/manuals/mercruiser8.html#/90

Dorson190
    Participant

I checked the oil several times it’s not milky at all there is a 3 inch hose that connects to the front of the motor it’s leaking right under the hose I’m trying to figure out how to post a pic but I’m haveing a hard time some were I read it could be the raw water circulating pump does that have a weep hole there’s no coolant it’s just water

stractor
    Participant

There is no raw water circulating through the engine, it is all coolant.The engine is aluminum and if run in salt water the aluminum would be attacked by the salt. Raw water is run only through the heat exchanger on the right side of the engine. So you are seeing engine coolant. You would not see milky oil unless the second of the two cam seals was bad and the first seal was leaking water. Unusual the see the second seal, which is in contact with engine oil on one side leaking.
    The front seal , that comes in contact with the coolant wears a groove in the nose of the cam where the seal contacts it. There is nothing else that leaks in that area except the water outlet gasket (the part with the hose attached) and the timing gear cover gasket (the large part with all the bolts around it and also contains the weep hole). The other possibility is one of the gear cover attaching bolts is leaking water–I don’t remember if any of them goes into the engine water jacket or not.
    contact me at—— stractor101@yahoo.com
    Bob

vail
    Participant

Everything Stractor said. Stractor, this site has gone to hell. I don’t think it serves any purpose at this point. I just look once in a while…

stractor
    Participant

vail—- You are correct, there was never any follow through in finishing the site.

Dorson190
    Participant

Hello guys thanks for the response your correct it’s not water it is in fact engine coolant I took it on the lake today and about after 3 hours of running it enough of the coolant dropped out to see it was green coolant I don’t think it’s coming out of the weep hole I think it’s coming from the part we’re the big hose connects at the bottom of it don’t know yet if it is the hose or the gasket there I’m going to to replace the gasket there first to see if it fixes the leak it’s not a bad leak it took a while to form enough to see it’s coolant it drips like a faucet is that how the weep hole works or does the weep hole send out a lot of the coolant to tell the operator the seal is bad or does it drop there also. Thanks

Dorson190
    Participant

One more thing guys this motor only has 255 hours original on it

stractor
    Participant

“drips like a faucet is that how the weep hole works”—YEP, Depends upon how bad the water side cam seal is, for the most part they just drip. also hole us usually plugged with grease and dirt–clean it out with a chunk of wire coat hanger and see if you get water.

Dorson190
    Participant

Ok how far in the weep does the hanger have to go in to clean the entire passage of the hole?

stractor
    Participant

6 inches give or take.

vail
    Participant

It is more than likely the weep hole, regardless of the hours. There is a drain plug just below the water pump. Most folks do not remove this when they drain the cooling system for servie and as a result a lot of crud builds up in that area and wears out the cam seals prematurely….and the camshaft seal surface. Did my seals 17 years ago. Still going good for a 40 year old boat.

Dorson190
    Participant

Yes vail I appreciate everyone’s comments I did find that is is the weep hole I learned a lot over the past couple weeks. The problem I’m having is I can’t find a mechanic that is willing to work on my boat to fix it. I’m starting to get frustrated with it I would do it if I had a garage but unfortunately I don’t thanks again everyone…

stractor
    Participant

Don’t need a garage.

vail
    Participant

X 2 on the garage. Copy and paste for service info http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Layout mode
Predefined Skins
Custom Colors
Choose your skin color
Patterns Background
Images Background